Location: Remote | Experience: Senior | Type: Full Time
Hi. We’re UpBuild. We’re a small, yet high-powered technical marketing company and we’re looking add a new type of person to our team — someone who’s as geeked about operations and keeping a business running as we are about optimizing websites.
We’re in the middle of growing from a truly “small” startup into an established company with not-insignificant operational, HR, and finance needs. In relatively short order, we’ve grown from two people (our founder and a part-time marketing specialist) working with two clients into a fully-distributed company with people in six cities, dozens of clients, and tracking toward $800k revenue for 2017 (our second full year).
While we don’t need to fill this role right now, we want to fill this role right now. This is a great time for us to have someone step in as our Operations Manager and let them take over these needs while they’re easily manageable. From there the Operations Manager can lead how we optimize our operations moving forward and support us as we scale.
UpBuild, founded in 2015, now operates with a team of eight. When it comes to growth, we’d rather grow slow and intentionally or not at all. We take hiring very seriously because we believe it’s never about just finding someone who can “do the work;” it’s about finding the right person who believes in what we believe, wants to be part of a team and contribute to the company, and who can truly be happy here.
We don’t believe that you need to live and breathe your work to be successful at UpBuild (that’s a job for the founder if anyone). A job is a job and work is work, but if working at an idealistic startup is what excites you and gives you a sense of fulfillment as you’re making your way through life, UpBuild’s goal is to be the absolute best place in the world for you to do that.
On paper, the position is “Operations Manager”, but think of it as an Optimization Manager for Processes and Operations.
Finding the right person for this position could take a while because we’re asking for a lot. And that’s because we have to. The person we’re looking for is someone with not just the skills and experience outlined below, but someone who is interested in what we do and the kind of company we’re trying to build. We don’t want you to just be the person who handles HR, cuts paychecks, or who gently reminds our lovely clients to pay their occasionally overdue invoices; we want you to be a core part of the team. Even though this is UpBuild’s first 100% unbillable role, we still want you to have a handle on what we do and why we do it the way we do it.
Interest piqued? Read over the specifics below.
About the Position
Our operations manager will:
- handle basic banking like managing our bank accounts, paying bills and invoices;
- be responsible for Accounts Receivable (AR) and follow up with past-due accounts;
- work with our bookkeeper to keep our books up to date;
- work with with the CEO and Director of Strategy to forecast revenue and team capacity;
- deliver financial reports to the CEO on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis;
- maintain and build the foundation for new legal documents (employment agreements, NDAs, vendor contracts, etc.), working with our lawyer as necessary;
- manage our various insurance policies, notably our group health plan;
- work with the Director of Strategy to coordinate team events, client visits, continuing education, conference travel (speaking and/or attendance), etc.;
- identify opportunities to document, automate, or otherwise optimize our operations and processes;
- tag team outgoing proposals with the Client Discovery workgroup to handle the contract terms, pricing, and the final QA;
- manage key technology and apps like gSuite (formerly Google Apps), LastPass (company password management), TravelingMailbox (our virtual mailbox), etc.;
- foster team member happiness and productivity through ordering office supplies, business cards, designing sweet merch, etc;
- work with the CEO to maintain the UpBuild Team Member Handbook and other HR materials;
- manage JustWorks — our payroll, reimbursement, and PTO management solution;
- spend time actually doing light work on client accounts to establish and maintain familiarity with the work we do here;
- (as with every other person here) contribute to UpBuild’s internal and external growth of expertise through blogging, knowledge sharing, and even possible public speaking — we think every aspect of what we do is interesting and should be shared;
- spend time learning (independently and with the UpBuild team), taking classes, and attending conferences and webinars;
- travel (paid by us, of course) about twice per year for company retreats;
- generally, help make the CEO’s life easier;
- overall, help UpBuild become the best place you (and, by extension, the rest of the team) have ever worked;
- feel good about a $68k to $72k annual salary range (plus bonuses, $500/year home office stipend, and tons of other harder-to-quantify benefits.)
As someone who could excel in this position, you:
- are excited about the potential of joining a small startup and helping it grow;
- have done the 9-to-6 grind at other businesses and want to try something vastly different;
- may have a background in marketing and/or advertising but are drawn to the organization and optimization of business operations, people management, and process improvement;
- have your own computer, a high-speed internet connection, and a good place to work (home office, coworking space, etc.) — we’re 100% distributed and have no physical office to come into;
- relatedly, you are excited about the possibility of working from wherever you want and are also ready to tackle the associated challenges (e.g., maintaining focus, working independently for most of the day, and being measured by your output rather than time at your desk);
- enjoy learning, and are excited by the prospect of spending time in self-driven learning of new skills and ideas;
- have a passion for learning about new technologies and systems;
- consider yourself a problem-solver and who can keep the operations of a growing business running smoothly;
- take extreme pride in your work and thrive in an environment that recognizes your contributions;
- are okay with us conducting a background check — since we’d be giving you nearly everything you’d need to crater the company if you were so motivated, we kinda have to do it;
- are intrinsically motivated to help others do well (either clients or team members);
- consider yourself a shameless idealist (everyone at UpBuild is) and want to spend your days working on something that matters;
- want to work for an organization that values work-life balance and a positive company culture (not just one that pays lip service to the idea by talking about it a lot) and are excited about the challenges of joining a distributed team;
- have read through UpBuild’s core values and are stoked to start using them in your day-to-day decision making.
In terms of experience, you
- have done similar work in an agency setting for at least three years;
- have experience working at a lean internet startup in any role;
- have demonstrable experience creating P&Ls and financial projections;
- have clear opinions on which KPIs are most important for digital agencies to measure success by and are excited to talk about them;
- have developed exceptional written communication skills and cultivated an extreme attention to detail;
- can demonstrate your ability to do great work, persevere, rise above challenges, and be creative (this could be in academics, your previous career, with passion projects, etc.);
- you get massive bonus points if you have demonstrable experience:
- in SEO, web analytics, or conversion rate optimization
- in adjacent marketing disciplines like social media, search advertising, PR, etc.
- building and maintaining your own website
- formal education in marketing, business, development, etc.
What you should know about us is that:
- we’re a new startup (two years old) and are entirely funded, i.e., bootstrapped, by the work we do for our amazing clients;
- our idealistic goal is a pretty simple one: to destroy the old digital marketing agency model by building an alternative that’s better in every way;
- we’re a distributed team and are pretty flexible with work hours (core office hours are 9 AM until 2:30 PM Pacific);
- in keeping with the above, we’re focused on getting results, doing work we’re proud of, and making people’s lives easier/better; we don’t use “hours worked” as a metric for job performance;
- we literally vote on every sales lead before we write a proposal — if we’re not excited about a working for a client, it’s not right to cash their checks;
- as Operations Manager, you have just as much say as anyone else in the organizations we work with;
- we’re continually working on exploring and adding new benefits to make your work life better.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary — a $68k to $72k annual salary range
- Remote working (i.e., full control of the office thermostat, choice of music, no commuting)
- Progressive PTO policy & paid holidays — 24+ days off per year
- 6+ weeks family leave (with plans to increase as we grow)
- Ongoing education & training opportunities (e.g., conferences, CodeSchool, tuition reimbursement)
- $500 per year Home Office Stipend to use on anything that makes you more productive or stoked about work
- Quarterly profit sharing & bonus plan
- 100% Health & Dental/50% for spouses
We are not currently hiring for this role. If you’re interested, please check back in the future!