Hi. We’re UpBuild and we’re looking to add another awesome person to our lean team. We’re a team of 6 and are looking to bring on another two team members this year. The first of those will be a fourth Senior Marketing Strategist — a role that is the pillar upon which the company is built. UpBuild exists so driven and passionate technical marketers (i.e., people who love bridging the gap between marketing and web technology) can do their best work, in their ideal environment, for clients whom they’re excited to work for. We’re hiring for a very experienced role here, so folks coming from an agency background are likely going to be a good fit but what makes us different from places you may have been in the past?
- Intentional Workload: Senior Marketing Strategists max out at 4 clients (that’s 4, not 40). We want you to be able to focus on your clients intensely for the sake of their success and your own sanity.
- Control Your Destiny: We vote on every prospective client before we ever send out a proposal. Ensuring that the whole team is stoked about every client we bring on is win-win, for our team and our clients.
- A Distributed Team: We’re 100% remote, which means you can work from wherever you work best and be part of a natively digital team.
- Build a Better Company: We’re shamelessly idealistic. At UpBuild, you’ll get to be a part of how we’re changing what it means to work at a marketing agency.
I’m proud of the work we do, my team’s brilliant, and the commute’s fantastic – what’s not to like?
– Laura McDougall, Senior Marketing Strategist at UpBuild
Our mission as a company is to destroy the old digital marketing agency model by building an alternative that’s better in every way. We won’t accomplish that just by talking and blogging about it; we’ve got to prove it through our hard work, our amazing client relationships, and our results. We want you to come help us accomplish that. The ideal candidate for this position will be a mix of account manager and in-the-weeds strategist. We don’t have an account management layer here, so a Senior Marketing Strategist works with a client to get to the heart of their marketing problem(s), architects a solution, communicates recommendations back to the client, and then works with them to make sure things get done. The ideal candidate realizes that weekly and sometimes even monthly reporting is an inefficient use of time. They’re frustrated when initiatives get held up by process and bureaucracy. They legitimately feel bad about not being able to get results for a client. They want to get their hands dirty and maybe dream of being able to do what they love for a select few clients and focus on them intensely instead of being underwater all of the time.
I’d always fantasized about my dream agency job: one where I worked from home, picked my clients and my hours, and was able to learn something new every day. My friends in the industry told me to keep dreaming. Then I had lunch with Mike Arnesen.
– Will Hattman, Senior Marketing Strategist at UpBuild
Oh, and while they love what they do in the office, their lives are much more than what they do for their paychecks. The ideal candidate has interests outside of the office, hobbies, a family, or just a long Netflix queue. They value being able to do great work and hustle while they’re clocked in but want to be able to check out and “go home” at the end of the day. UpBuild believes that helping team members do fulfilling work, manage stress, and promote balance in their lives is just as important as providing the right training and tools. Interested to learn more? Get in touch!
About the Position
Senior Marketing Strategists have an extremely important role to play in our success. Each Senior Marketing Strategist:
- works independently but is never in it alone – we call ourselves a team for a reason;
- is the point person on 3 to 4 client accounts, which means they:
- are responsible for client communication and satisfaction,
- own most of the day-to-day work,
- work with the Director of Strategy to plan overall direction on accounts, and
- delegate tasks to supporting team members;
- brings in-depth expertise in SEO, analytics, and conversion rate optimization to the organization;
- thinks creatively and critically to make their deliverables the best they can be, and to delight their clients;
- contributes to UpBuild’s thought leadership in the space through blogging, tool development, webinars, public speaking, and/or other comparable initiatives;
- is a vital part of the UpBuild team, providing support and collaborating with other Senior Marketing Strategists;
- spends time learning, independently and with the UpBuild team, taking classes, and attending conferences and webinars;
- may need to travel (paid by us, of course) a few times per year for client visits and/or company retreats;
- likes the sound of a $55k to $69k annual salary range*.
For the moment, our positions are US only. * Note that, for the right candidate, we’re willing to work to ensure that your compensation aligns with what you bring to the table.
As someone who could excel in this position, you
- are excited about the potential of joining a small startup and helping it grow;
- take extreme pride in your work and thrive in an environment that recognizes your contributions;
- are intrinsically motivated to help others do well (either clients or team members);
- consider yourself a shameless idealist (everyone at UpBuild is) and want to spend your days working on something that matters;
- want to work for an organization that values work-life balance and a positive company culture (not just one that pays lip service to the idea by talking about it a lot) and are excited about the challenges of joining a distributed team;
- have read through UpBuild’s core values and are stoked to start using them in your day-to-day decision making.
Over the course of your career, you
- have worked at consulting agencies for approximately 3 years or more;
- have proven expertise in our three core disciplines: analytics, SEO, and CRO;
- have a demonstrated knowledge of web technology including most of the below:
- website or web app development using major CMS platforms
- basic server-side scripting (i.e., PHP)
- are proficient in using:
- Google Analytics & Search Console
- Screaming Frog
- Spreadsheets (doesn’t have to be Excel, we use Google Docs for everything)
- have experience speaking at public events, writing blog posts, and/or finding unique and creative ways to use web technology for digital marketing.
- get huge bonus points if you have experience/interest in
- headless browsing,
- mobile app development,
- angular.js, backbone.js, ember.js, etc.,
- analyzing log files,
- website personalization,
- Chrome extension development,
- REST APIs, or
- email marketing.
Formal education in marketing, business, data science, etc. is great, but not required; no one gets a degree in digital optimization or web analytics anyway. A track record of getting exceptional results, successfully managing client/team relationships, and being stoked about startup culture is what really counts.
What you should know about us is that:
- we’re a new startup (less than two years old) and are entirely funded by the work we do for our amazing clients;
- our idealistic goal is a pretty simple one: to destroy the old digital marketing agency model by building an alternative that’s better in every way;
- we’re a distributed team and are pretty flexible with work hours;
- in keeping with the above, we’re focused on delivering results, meeting our deadlines, and making our clients’ lives easier/better; we don’t use “hours worked” as a metric for job performance;
- our senior team members (who define and execute strategy and also handle account management) work exclusively on 3 or 4 accounts — that’s a promise to our clients and to our team;
- we literally vote on every sales lead before we write a proposal — if we’re not excited about a working for a client, it’s not right to cash their checks;
- we’re continually working on exploring and adding new benefits to make your work life better.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Progressive PTO policy & paid holidays – 24+ days off per year
- 6+ weeks family leave (with plans to increase as we grow)
- Ongoing education & training opportunities (e.g., conferences, CodeSchool, tuition reimbursement)
- Quarterly profit sharing & bonus plan
- 100% Health & Dental/50% for spouses
- Remote working (i.e., full control of the office thermostat, choice of music, no commuting)
We are not currently hiring for this role. If you’re interested, please check back in the future!